[GNC] Share Values recording

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Aug 12 11:41:18 EDT 2022

Not quite enough. STOCK and FUND accounts inherit the currency of their nearest non-STOCK/FUND parent, so if you trade in stocks on foreign exchanges you need to set up your tree like e.g.

Assets:Investments (type ASSET in your home currency, e.g. ILS)
	Stocks-ILS (type ASSET, currency ILS)
		AZRM (type STOCK, commodity AZRM)
        Stocks-EUR (type ASSET, currency EUR)
		A5M (type STOCK, commodity A5M)
                DTE (type STOCK, commodity DTE)
       Stocks-GBP (type ASSET, currency GBP)
                RR. (type STOCK, commodity RR.)

And so on. If you do happen to have some symbol overlap between exchanges, which isn't common but does happen, then it might be helpful to tag them with the currency as Adrien suggests. The alternative is to create the two in separate namespaces. Don't try to use the same security with different currencies: The pricing code isn't written with that in mind and you may get weird results.

Use trading accounts. Juggling multiple currencies and commodities without them will make you crazy.

Note that IFRS and most GAAPs require that you value all transactions in the book's home currency. GnuCash doesn't enforce that and for personal book-keeping it may or may not matter depending on what you need to prepare your taxes. Consult with a local tax expert if you're not sure.

Regards,
John Ralls