[GNC] GnuCash 3 for Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 13:06:21 EDT 2022

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 15:41:33 -0500
From: Adrien Monteleone <adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net>
To: gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3 for Ubuntu Studio 22.04 LTS

Interesting question.

Perhaps try a 3.x flatpak?

Otherwise, if you haven't yet jumped from 18.04 to 22.04 maybe an interim
stop at 20.04 will get you GnuCash 3.x.

(Can you even go directly from 18.04 to 22.04? I didn't think it would even
give you the option)

Be sure to review the Wiki about upgrading. You'll need to run Actions >
Check & Repair > Check & Repair All at each upgrade of a major version.

Regards,
Adrien
<<
Thanks for the tips! I came across the Flatpak possibility, but was
dissuaded by the apparent complexity of the description at:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Flatpak

David's suggestion:

Another approach to consider is using the 20.04 (focal) live ISO. Just put
the ISO on a USB and boot from that, then install gnucash in the live
environment, and using that to convert your gnucash data to version 3. That
way you don't have to try to install different versions on either 18.04 or
22.04.
<<
sounded easier since I had already made a boot disk for Ubuntu Studio 20.04
LTS.
Unfortunately, that didn't work.  I was able to boot from the live DVD and
install GC 3.8.  However, when I tried to run Check & Repair All, following
your suggestion, it never finished. Check & Repair gives no indication of
its progress in either 2.16.9 or in 3.8.  The menu bar and toolbar flash
occasionally while Check & Repair is running, but the only indication that
it isn't done is that the menu cannot be operated and there is no indication
of it having finished.  In the live Ubuntu Studio 20.04 environment, the GUI
would become unresponsive if inactive for as little as 15 minutes, even
after I disabled all suspend, screen lock and screen saver features, making
it difficult to just let Check & Repair run as long as necessary.  After
that the DVD would start working overtime.  I have had a similar problem
with the GUI becoming unresponsive in my freshly installed US 22.04, but
only if I leave it idle on the login screen.
At this point I plan to try installing GC 3.8 on a Windows PC to do the
file conversion.  Wish me luck!

Message: 5