[GNC] Buying with PayPal - how do I split the transaction?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Sat Dec 10 11:20:22 EST 2022

On Sat, 10 Dec 2022 at 00:01, David Cousens <davidcousens49 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> David
>
> I treat my Paypal account as a Liability account,

As I wrote earlier, I treat mine as an Asset.

To use the business features, so you have the vendor record, I would have a
> separate PayPal Liability account. On purchase record the bill to  credit
> Accounts payable and debit the appropriate expense account as normal. To
> record
> PayPal paying the vendor, debit the Accounts Payable and credit the Paypal
> Liability, essential make a payment from the Paypal Liability account.  I
> don't
> know if the account checking on the business features payment process will
> prevent this or not.
>
> Then to record the transfer of funds from your bank account to Paypal
> credit the
> bank account and debit the Paypal liability account.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried that, by creating

Liabilities -> Accounts Payable -> PayPal (GBP)

Then I created a billl, and posted it to that account. However, when I paid
the bill from my bank account, there's no record of the transaction in
Assets -> PayPal (GBP) account. The only record of the transaction is in
the bank account. All I have achieved is creating another Accounts Payable
account, with a different name. There's no connection whatsoever between
that and the PayPal account.

I must be doing something wrong.

> David Cousens

Dave