[GNC] Customer Deposits

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Feb 8 17:04:41 EST 2022

You can create such a liability account though you'd have to run a
separate Account Report on it and later combine it with a Customer
Report outside of GnuCash. (in a spreadsheet) And when you record
pre-payments, you have to do them manually in that Deposits account,
then later, 'pay' the invoice with the Deposits account balance using
the Process Payments feature.

I used to do it this way, but reverted to simply doing normal
pre-payments for ease of generating reports. It is easy enough to see
the pre-payments with an A/R Aging or individual Customer Report. (that
is if they exceed posted invoices. If not, technically, they aren't a
liability)

Negative A/R *is* a Liability because it is a contra-balance in an asset
account.

Regards,
Adrien