[GNC] Difference on what "Add to Start Menu" means

Dean Gibson gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com
Mon Mar 7 23:42:15 EST 2022

I just installed v4.9, coming from v2.6.21.  I've installed a fair
number of Windows programs in my life, & my experience is that the
common meaning of "Add to Start Menu" means (on Windows 10) installing a
"tile" to "Start" (the portion that pops out when you press the "Start"
button"), & no more.

In no way (in my experience), does it mean, adding (or NOT) shortcuts to
the "Start Menu\Programs" folder inside "C:\ProgramData\".  Except for
drivers, program shortcuts are ALWAYS added to the "Start Menu\Programs"
folder.  After all, that's why we can specify the GnuCash folder name.
There are LOTS of reasons why people want their programs listed in
"Start Menu\Programs\" but not in "Start".

Microsoft is 100% responsible for this confusion of terminology. This
confusion leads to people like me (who NEVER click "Add to Start ..." --
we add the tile later)  to think that the install failed. Other than
going to "C:\Program Files (x86)\...", there is no way, unless one
manually creates a shortcut (or uses one on the desktop) to start the
program.

Now that I know ...