[GNC] Report - Income Statement - Layout problem

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 22:23:41 EDT 2022

On 3/17/2022 5:49 PM, Carl-Kensaku HERBORT wrote:
> Dear everyone,
> Thank you all for being here to help new users like me.
> I am having problems with the "income statement" report ("compte de
> resultat" in french).
>
> The columns of the revenue part and the columns of the expense part
> are not aligned. In fact, the entire layout of these two parts
> (including the width) seem to be independently managed from each other
> (contrary to what happens with the parts making up the "balance
> sheet"/"bilan" report, perfectly aligned and with an identical width).
> The result is quite ugly. Changing the stylesheet or making accounts
> name shorter or longer doesn't solve the problem. Could you please
> help me out ?
>
> An other problem is that there is an untranslated string in the middle
> of the title of the income statement report: "For Period Covering". As
> I am creating the report in french, it is a bit of a problem. Is there
> a way to replace this string by a translation or get rid of this
> string completely (whatever is easiest) ?

The second question helps with the first because it makes me think that
you have not yet investigated all the report options available to you.
The process is, run the report (open it) and then use edit=>report
options to change various things about the report. Though how you could
be running an income statement without setting the effective date range
is beyond me.

Report title is one of the things you can make whatever your heart
desires. I had been keeping books for non-profits so "Statement of
Revenues and Expenses"

HOWEVER -- if your "not lining up" is a matter of different levels of
nesting in your CoA << income accounts vs expense accounts >> the report
might need prettying up. It is a waste of time to try to do pretty
printing INSIDE the accounting package. You want a full service editor
for that. Run the report, export the raw report, and then edit THAT with
your favorite editor.

Michael D Novack