[GNC] create desktop icons for GNC 4.9 Flatpak on Ubuntu

david whiting dw at davidwhiting.me.uk
Fri Mar 25 04:45:07 EDT 2022

Hi Jeff,

The following works for me, with gnucash installed for a user:

1. Create a desktop file (using a text editor) with the entry shown below
2. On the Exec line, change Documents/test-2.gnucash to the path to
your gnucash file
3. On the Name line, change this to whatever you want to call it, i.e.
what you want to see on the desktop
4. Change the path for the icon to the correct location (perhaps
changing /home/david to /home/jeff)
5. Save the file as whatever-you-want-to-call-it.desktop
6. Go to your desktop
7. Right-click on the file on the desktop and select "Allow launching"
(this step is important)
8. Repeat this process for other files, changing the Exec line and
Name lines accordingly

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=flatpak run org.gnucash.GnuCash Documents/test-2.gnucash
Name=GnuCash 4.9 FLATPAK test-2
Comment=Manage home and small business accounts
Icon=/home/david/.local/share/flatpak/app/org.gnucash.GnuCash/x86_64/stable/active/files/share/gnucash/pixmaps/gnucash-icon.ico

David

On Fri, 25 Mar 2022 at 07:38, Jeff <beastmaster126 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have never had a problem creating desktop icons for multiple books for
> GNC on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS prior to installing the FlatPak version for GNC 4.9.
>
> Everything I have tried for the desktop icon has failed miserably on the
> Flatpak version of GNC 4.9.  Is there someone who can guide me on
> creating the desktop icons for this version on Ubuntu version 20.04
> LTS.  I have multiple sets of books to maintain for family members.
>
> --
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

David Whiting