[GNC] General journal report: limit to a period of time

Brook Milligan brook at nmsu.edu
Wed Nov 16 00:56:43 EST 2022

> On Nov 15, 2022, at 10:19 PM, john <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
>> On Nov 15, 2022, at 8:38 PM, Brook Milligan <brook at nmsu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to create a report similar to the General Journal report (under Assets & Liabilities menu); however, I would like to restrict it to a certain time period.  Instead, it seems that the current version reports the entire set of entries.  Am I missing an option or another report that does this?  Is this a desirable feature to have?
>>

> Depends. There are two swiss-army-knife reports, Transaction Report on the main reports menu and General Ledger on the Assets & Liabilities menu, that can show you pretty much any detail you want for any selection of accounts you want with a large range of display and summary options. Neither of them produces exactly the same format as the General Journal report though.

Perhaps I need some more complete explanation of how to control the transactions reports, but right now I do not see how any version of them can duplicate the information in the general journal.

The primary issue I am having with the transaction reports are that they end up repeating transactions multiple times, one per split.  In contrast, the general journal includes each transaction only once, regardless of the number of splits.

I am looking for the latter behavior, i.e., just a journal of the transactions, but covering a limited period of time.

Cheers,
Brook