[GNC] Help please. Upgraded from 2.3.4 to 4.12. Worked fine. But database does not load. Win 11.

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 08:55:44 EDT 2022

First, you need to locate your last backup before your upgrade.  As has
been described here before, you need to start in the FAQ at 3.5 (
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Using_Different_Versions.2C_Up_And_Downgrade)
and read the precautions.  Depending on your specific data it is usually a
good idea to go through the intermediate major versions and run check and
repair at each step, keeping backups at each step.  In some cases that can
take a very long time (hours) and GnuCash may appear to be frozen when it
is still cranking, so it behooves you to use a task manager to verify that
it is still working before concluding that it is stuck.  There is more
specific information somewhere else but I don't recall where it is.
Perhaps another user remembers where the more detailed instructions reside.

Good luck!

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 7:12 AM Rosepetals <pogichinoy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m running Windows 11.
>
> I was running Gnucash 2.3.4 for years and finally decided to upgrade to the
> latest stable release of 4.12 so I can export to a spreadsheet.
>
> The setup needed to uninstall 2.3.4 which went fine and then 4.12 finished
> installing.
>
> I opened Gnucash 4.12 and opened my Gnucash database. It notified me I
> needed to upgrade the database to the new version which worked fine and I
> was able to access all my data. I made a few entries and closed Gnucash
> without any issues.
>
> Later I opened Gnucash again but this time it didn’t auto open the database
> and I'm left with a blank screen. I proceed to locate and open the database
> but after waiting for it to load, nothing appears. I try to load it
> manually in other ways but eventually Gnucash crashes.
>
> If it helps, the database is 30MB in size.
>
> Please help. I have 13 years of data here.
>
> Thanks for looking!

David Carlson