[GNC] Opening Gnucash

Kalpesh Patel kalpesh.patel at usa.net
Tue Sep 13 17:44:44 EDT 2022

Richard,

If GNC 4.11 is already installed and still not running then it is worth
reviewing if anything has popped up in any of those three  protection
categories  -- Ransomware Protection, Tamper Protection or Controlled folder
access -- to double check. Navigate to following on Win 11 and review each
entry listed there, specifically any related to GNC:
Settings --> Privacy & Security --> Windows Security --> Virus & threat
protection --> Virus & threat protection settings --> Manage Settings -->
Controlled folder access --> Manage Controlled folder access --> Block
History

If nothing related to GNC is there then this is what I recommend:

Uninstall 4.9 version of GNC using uninstall option of the Windows and then
rename existing directories if they exist to move them out of the harm's
way. Some of these directories contain your customization (like reports) so
you may want to keep track of what got renamed to what so you can undo and
set it back to as it was. The folders that you want to rename are:
"C:\Users\<user name you are logged in as>\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash"
"C:\Users\<user name you are logged in as>\aqbanking"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash"

Install GNC 4.11 and then tell the protection sub-systems to let it pass
"as-is". To do so add an exception to "Allow an app through Controlled
Folder access" list for GNC binary. Do this for sure as I have it set as
such. Navigate to:
Settings --> Privacy & Security --> Windows Security --> Virus & threat
protection --> Virus & threat protection settings --> Manage Settings -->
Controlled folder access --> Manage Controlled folder access --> Allow an
app through Controlled folder Access
And add the executable by clicking on the "+ Add an allowed app" button
followed by "Browse all app" selection from drop down and then navigating to
gnucash.exe binary located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\bin" folder
and clicking "Open" button on the lower right corner. Make sure you have
clicked on gnucash.exe executable (the one with gnucash icon) before
(de-)pressing on the "Open" button.

Just to rule out contents of the folders where GNC gets installed, add the
root folder exclusion to the list of virus scanning exception list. To do so
go to:
Settings --> Privacy & Security --> Windows Security --> Virus & threat
protection --> Virus & threat protection settings --> Exclusion --> Add or
remove exclusions
And add folder to the list by clicking the "+ Add an exclusion" button
followed by "Folder" selection from drop down and then  navigating to
"C:\Program Files (x86)\gnucash\" folder and then clicking "Select Folder"
button in lower right corner.

Let us see if this bears any fruits on getting GNC 4.11 working on your
Windows 11.

Kalpesh...