[GNC] Upgrading from 2.x

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Dec 19 15:33:28 EST 2023

First, what operating system and version are you using? Windows, MacOS,
Linux?

Newer versions of GnuCash will only work on newer versions of your
operating system.

 From the main website:

"Version 2.6.21 is the last version for Windows XP/Vista and MacOS X
10.8 and earlier, and so the last version that will run on PowerPC Macs."

and

"Version 3.11 is the last version for Windows 7 and MacOS 10.12 and
earlier. "

The code that determines the appearance of GnuCash changed significantly
between 2.6.21 & 3.0. That introduced some appearance issues in some
cases, but all are fixable. Since you were able to update to 3.11 and it
runs, I'd say you could at least get that far if you want. We can help
with the appearance issues.

-----

The exact error message you are receiving would help us help you better.

If it is too much to type or it won't let you copy and paste it here,
try taking a screenshot of that window and attaching it to a reply. (do
not paste it into the message. Use your e-mail application's attach
function)

There is such a thing as placeholder accounts, but those don't affect
'folders', or stop you from accessing the file itself, they just prevent
you from entering transactions in those placeholder accounts.

There is also something called a Lock File. That prevents you from
accidentally opening the same GnuCash file using different computers or
users at the same time. If GnuCash doesn't shut down cleanly, that
lockfile can get 'stuck' and you will get that message next time you try
to open it. (GnuCash normally deletes the lockfile when it cleanly
closes) If you know the file isn't otherwise open, just click the option
to Open Anyway and GnuCash will proceed as normal.

-----

As for the *need* to upgrade, that is up to you. There have been
hundreds if not a few thousand bugs fixed since 2.6.21 as well as many,
many other various improvements. But if you are happy with how 2.6.21
works, I can't think of a compelling reason to upgrade otherwise. Though
others here might have some good ideas to take into consideration.

Regards,
Adrien