[GNC] PPA vs. Flatpak Questions
Bruce Schuck
bschuck at asgard-systems.com
Wed Jul 8 21:53:42 EDT 2026
On Sat Jun 6 16:15:59 EDT 2026, Bruce S wrote:
> I had noticed last year that ppa:gnucash hasn't been updated in a
> long while. I was able to contact the former maintainer team and have
> it
> transferred to myself.
> While "Panda Jim" is not affiliated with the GnuCash developers, his
> ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/gnucash was kept somewhat up to date. I have
> reached
> out to him and I am waiting for a response.
> Myself, while I am familiar with creating custom ".deb" packages
> (I do
> this in my day job for some in-house applications), I have yet to
> tackle the details of creating ppa packages. My goal is to not depend
> on Panda Jim, but to assist in filling in the gaps while he is busy
> with other applications (he does contribute quite a bit to other
> applications).
I've attempted to contact Panda Jim a few times in the last month with
no responses. But I have been making progress on learning how to create
and upload packages to a PPA.
For those running Ubuntu 24.04, there is a GnuCash 5.16 release in the
ppa:gnucash/ppa. Additionally, you should find GnuCash 5.16 for Ubuntu
20.04, 22.04, and 24.04 in my ppa:bpschuck/testppa PPA (as of this email
the 20.04 (aka focal) is waiting for the Launchpad build queue.
For those that don't want to build their own GnuCash from source, or use
a FlatPak, give these a test run. I've only done some minimal testing of
the 5.16 on Ubuntu 24.04 version.
Remember to backup your data file(s) before trying.
Thanks.
Bruce S.
More information about the gnucash-user
mailing list