[GNC] Best way to track expenses for trips

Stephen M. Butler stephen.m.butler51 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 19:03:57 EDT 2026


On 7/27/26 13:34, Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) wrote:
> On 2026-07-27 13:02, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>> On 7/27/26 12:30, Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) wrote:
>>> On 2026-07-27 11:14, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>>>> Assign each trip a unique code/word/ID and ensure that went into the
>>>> description field for each expense.  That way if a couple of trips
>>>> overlapped on dates you could separate them.
>>> Could you say a bit more about what a user would do? I looked in the
>>> options for the Income Statement, and there doesn't seem to be a way to
>>> tell it to filter based on Description, Memo, or Notes.
>> Since you are tracking only Expenses (saw nothing about Income in the
>> original request), I wouldn't use any form of Income Statement, Profit/
>> Loss Statement, etc.
>>
>> This is strictly a Transaction Report which does include all the
>> filtering needed.
> Thanks for clarifying.  Just a reminder -- I didn't ask the original
> question because I don't need the kind of tagging the original
> questioner (Kalpesh Patel) was asking for.
>
> I haven't found a use for the transaction report in my own bookkeeping
> so far, but I think I should give it another look.
I into a couple:
1.  Donor list for our non-profit.  All income is a donation but is 
tracked according to source (Paypal, Venmo, Check/Deposit, etc). This 
made a nice report of all YTD donations.  I did have to take it to Excel 
to combine donations from same individual across the various sources to 
see who donated above a certain amount for the CPA.

2.  My wife is the accountant but I do all the personal GnC entries.  
She wants to inspect all the expense accounts to ensure deductible 
entries are in the correct account before sending to the CPA.


More information about the gnucash-user mailing list