Once again, help wanted on Treasury note transaction accounting please

John K. Taber jktaber at charter.net
Fri Mar 12 15:04:44 EST 2010

Here is the situation.

My 2 year US treasury note ABC matures in my Treasury Direct account. Before
the principal gets to my bank I reinvest the funds in 2 year treasury note
ABD. Let's say the principal is 10,000 USD. There is a slight difference in
price for ABD so that a small amount is returned to my bank.

ABC principal matures		10,000.00
ABD purchase			-9,997.20
My Bank Account                    2.80

I have my accounts structured as
Treasury Direct parent
   ABC child
   ABD child

In Quicken I treat ABD matures as a Sell, ABD as a Buy, and the 2.80 as an
Xout (transfer funds out).

How should these transactions be treated in GC? I'm asking for step-by-step
directions, please.

For the time being, I use the Imbalance account for intermediate steps. The
trouble seems to be that my parent account needs a cash subaccount to
receive and disburse sums from sales and buys. But there really isn't a cash
account.