Changed credit card number

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Mar 13 07:54:52 EST 2010

Michael DeBusk wrote:

>On Fri, March 12, 2010 14:49, John K. Taber wrote:
>

>>My credit card number was recently changed due to compromise of data at a
>>merchant, I was told.
>>

>That isn't just a new number. It's a new account. Proper procedure would
>be to open a new account in GNUCash and closing out the old one.
>
>I like to add the last four or five digits of my credit card's account
>number to the account name for just this sort of situation. I've had to do
>it a couple of times over the years.

Yes it's a new account. You didn't say what happened to the balances
owed if any (you might still be paying on the old account even though
not able to charge to it). Also there is the more general case of
multiple charge accounts (us). You might want to be able to see the
total balance.

Create a parent for "charge cards" and move both the old and new account
as children under it. And that's how you might handle multiple active
charge accounts too.

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.