Receivables Aging Misreporting

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 18 15:14:33 EDT 2010

Hi,

Pablo Francesca <rshgeneral at yahoo.com> writes:

> I've circled what I considered a lot in the a/r screenshot file.  I quoted the
> term lot to indicate that i was using the term according to my understanding
> of the bug report.  I used the term transaction to encompass the debit/credit
> entries that accompany the creation of an invoice.

What you've circles are not lots.  What you've circled are the
Auto-Payment-Forward transactions that I've talked about.  See the
Action field?

Basically, these transactions get created when you have an
over-payment.  When you post an invoice (or a payment) such that the end
result is an overpayment then GnuCash will use the auto-forward
transaction to start a new lot for the next invoice.

If you get one of these created and then later unpost the invoice you
could certainly leave the A/R account in a strange state!

> The customer_report file shows a zero balance (not seen on screenshot).  None
> of the entries created in A/R account were created w/o using normal create
> invoice dialog or post payment dialog. Again, I've never created an invoice
> for this customer (active or otherwise) for $750 or $850.  I've also never
> taken a payment for this customer for those amounts.

Right.  Those aren't invoices.  Those are over-payments.  What it means
is that on April 8, 2009 you had posted an invoice or a payment that
caused an overpayment of 850 for Customer 1 (probably because they had
already given you a deposit of 950 and you posted a $100 invoice?).
Then on April 15th the same thing, you posted an invoice of $100
(invoice 002131) which reduced the overpayment from 850 to 750...  So
GnuCash was creating the auto payment forward for the NEXT invoice to
come in....

> Let me know if you need more screen shots of A/R entries.

I don't think I need more pictures...  And if you deleted these
auto-payment transactions then you probably messed up the internal lot
calculations of which invoices are actually paid.

What I would recommend is that you go into A/R, record all the ACTUAL
payments for this customer, then delete all payment and
auto-payment-forward transactions, and then Process Payment for all the
actual payments.  That should clear it up.  But make sure you delete the
auto-payment-forward transactions for this customer (and ONLY for this
customer)!