How to I record a Credit Card purchase in foreign currency before receiving my bill?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 4 11:47:48 EDT 2013

On 4 April 2013 16:38, whwtan <whwtan at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> So let's say I  make a USD$100 purchase with my Aussie debit card. That's
> gonna cost me roughtly about AUD$98 with the current exchange rate. The web
> site does not tell me how much I am being charged in my local currency.
>
> The way I have always done it has been to wait until my bill comes at the
> end of the month before I am able to enter the cost in my local price.
> Is there a way of doing it when I make payment?

I am not sure exactly what you are asking.  Gnucash cannot magically
know the exchange rate that your card provider will use.  In this
situation I add the transaction at the approximate amount I expect,
with Estimate (actually Est) in the Notes field, then correct it when
the bill comes in.  In case you were not aware, you can enter a
calculation for the amount, so if you know the exchange rate is approx
0.98 then in the transaction you can enter, in your example, 100*0.98.
 Also you could presumably look at your account online with your card
provider to see how much was actually charged before the bill comes
in.

Colin