GC 2.4.10 installed under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS doesn't run

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 21 16:10:03 EDT 2013

It is quite possible that this is due to some unfulfilled dependency, as I
have installed GC on a Ubuntu Server to which I have added gnome-shell,
which also doesn't work.
The error message I get (trying to start GC from console) is:
"gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
configure time."
The message is the same with or without the "--nofile" argument.  No other
The same error message has been reported in posts on various fora going back
at least 5 years, and is usually attributed to problems with the package.
I am quite inexperienced with Linux and not prepared to rebuild GC myself.
The detailed information from aptitude is shown below.
I was disappointed to get GC 2.4.10 instead of 2.4.12.  Is there a way to
get 2.4.12 for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?
Might this produce better results?