Setting up mortgage payments

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Jan 2 13:04:32 EST 2013

>Well, that setup actually seems to have worked as the correct amount appeared
>debited from my account on a scheduled transaction today - don't know why
>the review screen was blank, could this be a bug?
>
>I now have a different problem. I actually overpay on the mortgage a bit
>each month. Now I can just alter the value when it appears in the account,
>but that then appears as an imbalance. How can I get it to be taken from the
>principal amount and therefore reduce the interest? Or is Gnucash not
>programmed to allow for overpayments on a loan?
>
>Thanks for any help!

That is a very different sort of problem. An automatic payment
transaction cannot be set up so that it will correctly guess by how much
you will choose this time to overpay. Can't read your mind.

You can of course manually adjust. If you do that correctly there will
not be an imbalance. Usually your intent when overpaying is for that
extra amount to be applied to either principle or escrow. Did you
specify one or the other of those accounts? In other words, when you
adjusted upward the payment account did you also adjust the part of the
split going to where it was to be applied?

Michael