Split transactions are killing me

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 22 09:28:55 EST 2013

Hi,

Will <Will.stewart1a at gmail.com> writes:

> I've followed the instructions, and they simply disappear when I press
> "Enter" or hit the ENTER button.

Don't hit 'enter' until you are completely done with all splits.

> And then it seems like it works once, and then all the other transactions
> reappear. When I try to delete them, they don't go away, and I have to start
> from scratch all over again.

It disappears because you don't have a split that anchors the
transaction into the current open account register.

> I've tried a number of different ways, over and over, and this looks like it
> may do me in for GnuCash.

Entering splits is easy.  The way I do it is to start with basic mode,
enter one of the expense accounts in the transfer column, enter in the
total for the current account in the correct (deposit/withdrawal)
column, and *THEN* hit the split button.  Then I use the arrow and tab
keys (and sometimes the mouse button) to enter the rest of the splits
and move from split to split.  Then I hit "enter" when I'm completely
done.

> I wish I could describe a simple problem, but there are too many steps and
> variables involved.

Take a step back.  Take a deep breath.  Relax..

> I used http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Split-Confusion-td1433823.html
> as a basis, which got me the closest, but I'm afraid I may have a mangled
> data file now, or something.

It's unlikely you mangled your data file.  Worst case you could always
revert to a backup file.