Hayes Re: incorrect beginning balance on reconciliation

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Apr 14 12:37:33 EDT 2016

On Thursday, 14 April 2016 11:49:19 BST Terri Hayes wrote:
> Hi, does any one have any idea 1) how I could come up with an
> incorrect beginning balance on my reconciliation?
> I am very attentive to my checking account in GNUCash - I Always
> reconcile every account - every month when I receive my statements - I
> always get zero... (reconciled)
>
> this month I opened up my reconciliation and my beginning balance
> (from last month... which was a correct number for the ending balance
> last month when I reconciled) was $635.00 different -
> do I reconciled - it all came out good - and if I subtract the $635
> difference between what was showing in correctly on my "beginning
> balance" - I'm at zero. -So I'm still reconcilied and all the entries
> are correct -
>
> there is just this odd offset - and I'm not sure where it came from
> (so I dont make it happen again)
>
> any ideas?
> and 2)
> is there any way to go in and correct the beginning balance when its
> wrong like this? or do I just have to create a new entry that will
> force it to be right?
>
> Thanks for listening
> Terri Hayes

Hi Terri,

A discrepancy in the opening balance is usually the result of editing /
deleting a transaction which is already reconciled.

If you go ahead with the reconcile anyway, aiming for the closing balance as
per your statement, does it all work out ok?

If not, then AFAIK there isn't an easy way to get out of the imbalance - you
have to do lots of searching by hand... :-(

HTH,
Maf.