Using an externally hosted postGreSQL as a gnu cash backend?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Apr 15 19:29:38 EDT 2016

> On Apr 11, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Dean Gibson <gnucash.stuff at mailpen.com> wrote:
>
> 3. In addition, an incremental SQL-based solution may have performance
>   issues, unless it is carefully designed.  GnuCash appears to use an
>   in-memory model, which seems appropriate for anything but a large
>   business.

An interesting observation, but it seems to me that an incremental solution where the DB provides record-based locking is necessary if even two users are going to be in the DB at the same time. Keeping the everything-in-memory model would require the two GnuCash instances to coordinate edits some other way.

You seem rather more experienced than I in this regard. Is there a better way than using DB record locking for simultaneous access?

Regards,
John Ralls