Probably silly Q but see no solution.

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 01:53:34 EDT 2016

On 17 Apr 2016 4:11 a.m., "Mike" <gmikwei at gmail.com> wrote:

> Month's ago I setup all my accounts in gnu-cash and have not updated  So
I want to update accounts with current statement balances.  How do I edit
the current balance?  See methods to add/delete... but nothing to set.
Worked as expected when creating but cannot set values from received
statements.  I only want to enter statement values and not the
tens-hundreds of transactions to maybe get to the same value.

> So issue is how can I update the current value in an account?

Do you mean that you are not interested in exactly what the details of the
transactions were in the meantime, but just want to get to a new starting
point? If so then on each account just enter a single transaction which
brings the balance to the right amount. For example if you need to reduce
the bank balance by 100 just enter a transaction of 100 to some expense
act. Or maybe you want a little more detail so want to enter a single
income transaction summarising events and a single expense transaction.
Alternatively if you don't need the transaction details that you initially
entered then you could delete all existing transactions on each account and
change the opening balance transaction to the current amount.

Colin

> I'm sure there is a simple solution that is avoiding me. /Should be
obvious but perhaps not.  The more I view around the more lost I get.
doesn't seem to be any answers  I'm sure delete/re-add would work but  then
I loose any info on gains/losses...