Manually posting scheduled transactions

Steve butterandsalt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 19:25:08 EDT 2016

I must confess I still have nightmares from the early days of outlook, with
automatic recurring entries gone wild...

Am I the only one?

In a particular account if I have a monthly payment to be made on the 25th,
I have an entry for the 25th in that account. When the 25th comes, I enter
another transaction for the 25th for the following month.  I have a
corresponding entry in my calendar for which I do the same (in case I forget
to "schedule" another transaction for the next month).  So there's always
one future entry for any given bill, and I can see all the bills etc. coming
up in that account.

I put a "*" at the end of the transaction description if it's being
automatically debited from the account; "**" if I am manually making the
payment (eg calling up and giving my credit card number or writing a check,
etc.).

Guess I feel more comfy remaining "in control" then relying on the program
to schedule my transactions.  But then, I still wake up in cold sweat on
occasion, of multiplying Outlook calendar entries...